Floyd Mayweather Jr. To Jail: Boxer’s Sentence Set To Begin At Las Vegas’ Clark County Detention Center
By KEN RITTER
LAS VEGAS — Floyd Mayweather Jr. may be one of the richest prizefighters ever.
But the unbeaten five-division champion who goes by the nickname “Money” is about to trade life in a posh five-bedroom Las Vegas home for almost three months in a cell about one-third the size of a small boxing ring.
Mayweather is scheduled to surrender Friday before a Las Vegas judge who sentenced him for his guilty plea to reduced domestic battery charges in a hair-pulling, arm-twisting attack in September 2010 on the mother of three of his children.
Mayweather’s legal and ring advisers didn’t respond to messages Thursday about his scheduled Friday morning surrender before Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa.
As a high-profile inmate, police say Mayweather, 35, probably will serve most of his time in a small solo cell. There is floor space for sit-ups and push-ups. But Mayweather’s stint in the high-rise Clark County Detention Center is expected to limit his ability to train for another fight.
At least for the first week, Mayweather will be segregated for his protection from the other 3,200 inmates in the downtown Las Vegas facility, police Officer Bill Cassell said this week.
Mayweather won’t have a TV in his cell, and Cassell said televisions in jail dining areas probably won’t carry the June 9 pay-per-view WBO welterweight fight between Mayweather rival Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley at the MGM Grand Garden arena.
Mayweather’s lawyers, Karen Winckler and Richard Wright, have said they didn’t plan to seek another postponement or delay.
The judge sentenced Mayweather on Dec. 22, then later allowed him to remain free long enough to fight Miguel Cotto on May 5 in Las Vegas.
Mayweather was accompanied into the ring by entertainers Justin Bieber and 50 Cent before winning the Cinco de Mayo weekend bout and a guaranteed $32 million. Cotto was paid $8 million.
Saragosa said when she sentenced Mayweather that she was particularly troubled that he threatened and hit ex-girlfriend Josie Harris while their two sons watched. The boys were 10 and 8 at the time. The older boy ran out a back door to fetch a security guard in the gated community.
However, the judge accepted the deal that had Mayweather plead guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery and no contest to two harassment charges. Prosecutors dropped felony and misdemeanor charges that could have gotten Mayweather 34 years in prison if he had been convicted on all counts.
Mayweather’s jail stay will be capped at 87 days, because the judge gave him credit for three days previously served. It could be reduced by several weeks for good behavior, Cassell said Thursday.
Mayweather also was ordered to complete a yearlong domestic violence counseling program, 100 hours of community service and pay a $2,500 fine.
Harris and the three children now live in Southern California. Her lawyer, Charles Kelly, declined to comment Thursday.
Mayweather will be housed in a standard administrative segregation cell no larger than 7-by-12 feet, with a bunk, stainless steel toilet and sink, a steel and wood desk with a permanently bolted stool and two small vertical windows with opaque safety glass.
The cell will be a far cry from Mayweather’s nearly 12,800-square-foot, two-story mansion on a cul de sac in an exclusive guarded community several miles south of the Las Vegas Strip. Mayweather’s home has two garages, five bedrooms, eight bathrooms, and a swimming pool and hot tub overlooking a golf course.
Mayweather could have about an hour a day out of his cell with access to an exercise yard, Cassell said. Depending on his behavior, the boxer could later get several hours a day for exercise with other inmates also being held in protective custody.
He’ll get a standard-issue blue jail jumpsuit with the letters CCDC and orange slippers.
Mayweather will be able to deposit money into a jail account to purchase snacks, soap and personal hygiene items from the jail commissary. (huffingtonpost.com)
Nicki Minaj Upset About Fan’s Murder In Japan, Says Dancers Not Involved
Nicki Minaj performed a sold out stop on her Pink Friday tour in Japan last week, but a few hours after the concert, one of her fans was found dead in a Tokyo hotel room. After finding out about the gruesome crime, the YMCMB rapper took to Twitter to address the tragedy and deny rumors that one of her dancers was involved in the case.
“Saddened to learn one of my precious fans; found tragically murdered in Japan. My love & prayers are with the family of Nicola Furlong,” Nicki wrote on Thursday (May 31).
The 21-year-old fan, a foreign exchange student from Dublin City University in Ireland, was found dead in a Tokyo hotel room after attending Minaj’s show at Zepp Tokyo a few hours earlier.
An early report on PerezHilton.com stated that Furlong and her friend Sarah Maher linked up with Minaj’s backup dancer James Blackston and another musician, Larry Perry, after the show, heading to the men’s hotel rooms. Furlong was later found strangled to death in the room, while Maher reported that she was sexually assaulted by both men in a taxi.
After sending her condolences to the slain fan’s family, Minaj addressed rumors that her dancer was involved, tweeting directly at the celebrity gossip blogger. “My dancers had nothing to do w/this tragedy. No one in my entourage was questioned or arrested. They all flew home from Japan,” she wrote. “That person on your [site] is NOT my dancer. We do NOT know the men in custody. Too much misleading information.”
According to IrishCentral, Tokyo police have released a statement confirming that they arrested two American men in connection with the crime. James Blackston, 26, and an unidentified 19-year-old have been taken into custody. “These two men allegedly took advantage of a female unable to resist due to the fact she was in a comatose state from a highly alcoholic beverage,” the report states, adding, “As that is an indecent act, they have been charged with quasi forcible indecency.”
The police also confirm Maher’s story of being harassed in the taxi, noting, “On a taxi ride between Shibuya and Shinjuku, they took advantage of a woman by touching her body.”
Furlong’s body is expected to arrive in her hometown of Curracloe, Ireland, on Thursday, where she will be laid to rest. The 21-year-old was studying at the Takasaki City University of Economics in Takasaki, Japan. (mtv.com)
Lil Wayne Says He’s Not Wanted In Oklahoma City Thunder’s Arena, Team Responds
by Andres Vasquez
Although Lil Wayne wanted to attend NBA’s Western Conference Semi-Finals in Oklahoma City, he didn’t get a chance to purchase tickets, according to his reps. The YMCMB emcee said he was “denied by the team” but the team responded with a statement.
“Was going to the Thunder game tonight but was denied by the team to be in their arena,” Wayne tweeted.
Mack Maine, Young Money’s president, shared that a ticket broker explained the matter to him.
“He finally just let me know, they not really tryin’ to sell tickets to him,” he told MTV. “They said they’ll give him some tickets on the front row behind but they’re not really tryin’ to have him sittin’ courtside.”
Team representative Dan Mahoney denied this to AP. Mahoney explained that Oklahoma City sold out every home game they have played this season and that front row seats were not available. He also noted, “We’d love to have him at a game, but like anyone else, he needs a ticket.”
Beyond this, Maine says they weren’t providing Wayne with special parking or an escort.
“Why would you actually want to cause pandemonium? That’s gonna make it harder for your security,” he noted. “We’re not no prima donnas, but that’s just common sense, for our safety and the safety of your building. We were basically just tryin’ to take our brother to the game.” (hiphopdx.com)
NEW VIDEOS AND MUSIC
Jay Z & Kanye West ft Frank Ocean – No Church In The Wild
Nas – Daughters
Meek Mill ft Rick Ross – Black Magic
Lil Wayne – Sasaraf